2 Follower

Er ist wieder da
Timur Vermes, Christoph Maria Herbst
Nine Stories
J.D. Salinger
Auf der Suche nach der verlorenen Zeit. Teil 1-7 Gesamtausgabe (À la recherche du temps perdu #1-7)
Marcel Proust, Peter Matic
The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
Bill Watterson
Schmidt liest Proust
Jochen Schmidt
Einmal durch die Hölle und zurück
Josh Bazell, Thomas Gunkel, Malte Krutzsch
By Its Cover (Commissario Brunetti, #23)
Donna Leon
Die historischen Romane
Umberto Eco, Burkhart Kroeber, Philipp Blom

The Catcher in The Rye

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger I read the Catcher in the Rye once in 9th grade and once as an adult. Obviously, I missed the right time to read it, as I did not really like it on either occasion. Considering the fact that basically the only thing I remembered reading at school was the question, where the ducks are in winter, the book did not have any influence on my own adolescence as so many people describe.
When reading as an adult, I thought that the storyline is repetitive and quite unrealistic. Holden himself seems to be the biggest phony of them all, being snotnosed and arrogant. A change in his attitude – so often mentioned in interpretations - does not happen in my opinion. Salinger wrapped up Holden’s character too tightly for any authentic change on the last few pages.
The book might have been awesome when published in 1951 due to its language and content and it might still be useful as a portrait of US society in the 40s but in my opinion, its former brilliance has worn off in the last 60 years.